Marriage Moments will include questions and/or exercises to start conversations. They will provide an an opportunity to know yourself and your partner better. Check in with your LifeMate to see if this is a good time for them to answer these questions. If it is not a convenient time schedule a later time that would work for both of you. When you are the listener, show up with an interested and curious attitude. Be careful not to interrupt. After one of you has answered the questions, turn the tables and give the other partner their chance.
- Were you one of those people who had a list in your head about what you wanted in a mate? If so, do you remember some of the things on your list? If not, why do you think you didn’t have a list?
- What frightened you about getting married?
- What are your best memories from our engagement period?
- What were some of your unrealistic expectations as you approached marriage?
- Did you ever think about what you were bringing to our marriage? What strengths did you have that made you think you’d be a good partner? Were you even aware of having personal weaknesses that would affect our marriage?
- What was the biggest surprise to you about being married?
- Have you had to change your focus from “getting” to “giving” in our relationship? If so, how? If not, why not?